Sunday, July 5, 2015

The God that is to be Seen

There's something to be said for a lot of things.  There is something to be thought and felt.  There's a moment to ponder here.  Waking up to life today I was met with the wonderful demands of getting things, people and stuff together to head out the door to a family gathering.  Shoes on, I hope, my herd heads to the car.  And just for the record, leaving the house is an epic event and the earlier the departure the more daunting the task no matter how worthwhile the destination.  Did everyone wash the morning crust off their face and look somewhat respectable?  I took inventory of the way my crew looked and it was good enough to allow them to slide out the door and into the car to take the 50 minute drive to grandma's, *cough, cough*, Mimi's house. 


The pool, the white washboard of drawings erased, a game well played, lot's of laughter and good words, the best food this time of year, tiny feet, newborn skin, sacrificially giving of time, resources and space.


The little things made this day stand out so well.  The look on Aunt Marcia's face when this little group of kids stared in wonder at the fireworks outside the old country church we have been visiting since my children were babies.  She didn't know I was looking at her, but her grandiose smile made me grin right along with her.  The little, delicious bits of food that begin to overwhelm your stomach.  The eating.  My, the eating.  The longsuffering folks standing over the grill.  I wouldn't say that was little, but maybe somewhat overlooked.  The little things children say that make you laugh loudly, make you youthful again. 


Brief moments meant to be remembered later down our well beaten roads.  The thoughtful family that stop and take the time to play games with the children.  Conversations that wrangle you in your chair and keep you listening longer than you usually do.  These beautiful, little things all add up and remind us of the God that is to be seen.  What He has set in motion can be relished in and enjoyed to life's fullest extent.  There's no doubt in that fact for me.  I will forget the distasteful songs that my life sometimes plays and focus on the this fleeting moment because these are the times in which I am whole heartedly reminded that there is a benevolent Father watching over us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment